About Me

My photo
One might think that the very young are quite different than older folks. I propose that we are all the same in one major way... We love a good story, and the best stories come from real life. History is full of tantalizing, sorrowful, tragic, and wonderful stories. Most exciting of all is the fact that we are all writing our own stories at this very moment. The choices we make will affect others' stories, and in no time at all, we become the stories that will be told in the future. I have had the opportunity to travel the tiniest bit, and each time I visit a new-to-me place in the world, I feel as though I have been changed. Touched by the people I meet and their stories, I can't wait to share those stories with my students, my colleagues, and my family. If any of the discoveries I make along the way are useful to you as well, all the better.

Sunday, July 21, 2013

More From Xi'an


July 13-15, 2013

We enjoyed riding the city perimeter on the wall.  It's an 8-mile trek and is a fantastic was to enjoy city views.  There was a music track playing, and that made the ride even more fun. 


 Another highlight is Xi'an was visiting the Big Goose Pagoda at night.  There was a water show with lights.  Enjoy.


 While staying in Xi'an, our Fulbright groups made an overnight trip to Hu County.  This is where we stayed with rural families for dinner, a relaxing evening, and a trip to the local hot springs for a dip.  My pre-conceived idea about hot springs meant that I picture us trekking through the hills to find an isolated but totally wonderful natural hot spring.  It turned out to be an indoor swimming pool  :)
Dumpling-making ingredients
The real cooks in the kitchen
Part of our dinner in Hu County
Learning to make dumplings

In Hu County, we met a famous artist.  He is known for his peasant paintings.  During the Cultural Revolution, it was not good to be a scholar, professional, or skilled artist.  Those kind of folks needed to go "underground" if you will.  Mr. Tong began to paint the scenes of the daily lives of peasants along with others who could not deny their creative drive.  Peasant painting has become a sought-after genre.  I was honored to meet him and to tour his gallery and home.


Mr. Tong shows us some of his work.

1 comment:

  1. Loved the bicycle pics! Looks like you'll have to make some food for us when you return!!!

    ReplyDelete