About Me

My photo
One might think that the very young are quite different than older folks. I propose that we are all the same in one major way... We love a good story, and the best stories come from real life. History is full of tantalizing, sorrowful, tragic, and wonderful stories. Most exciting of all is the fact that we are all writing our own stories at this very moment. The choices we make will affect others' stories, and in no time at all, we become the stories that will be told in the future. I have had the opportunity to travel the tiniest bit, and each time I visit a new-to-me place in the world, I feel as though I have been changed. Touched by the people I meet and their stories, I can't wait to share those stories with my students, my colleagues, and my family. If any of the discoveries I make along the way are useful to you as well, all the better.

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Traditional Chinese Medicine


July 12, 2013

Following a presentation about the development of acupuncture, moxibustion, cupping, and the clinical applications of each (Dr. Wang Ruihui, Deputy President of Shanxi University of Chinese Medicine), Fulbrighters visited the Chinese Medicine History Museum and a hospital where we observed the practice of these TCM methods.  The museum included the largest catalog of items used for treating a variety of ailments.  Some reported benefits of these treatments are that they are suitable for a range of applications, they are inexpensive, and they are easy to perform. The practices originated in the age of clan communities in primitive Chinese society. 

Acupuncture is the inserting of needles at points on the body along meridians.  You might be interested in knowing that the first acupuncture needles were made of stone.  They evolved over time into bone and then metal.  Some were even made of earthenware and bamboo.  There are nine kinds of needles for different functions.

A model shows the meridians
along which needles can be
effectively inserted.
A volunteer gets acupuncture.
Primitive people also discovered the healing effect of warming the body.  A common burning material is moxa (purified mugwort leaves) and wool.  This mixture ignites without flames and is placed near the body at specific points to affect healing.  Since this seemed like a low risk treatment, I tried it out.  The warmth and aroma of the burning herb is, indeed, relaxing.

This Moxibustion patient is complaining of stomach pain.
Cupping comes from primitive societies as well.  It is the application of a cup-shaped vessel to the body that traps hot air, which pulls the skin into the cup.  In the beginning, cups were made of horn.  Now they are made of glass or plastic.  In fact, since this visit, I have seen a cupping kit in a pharmacy/beauty store that they were perfectly willing to sell to me.  I guess I could hang out a shingle and go into practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment